Saturday, June 28, 2008

Life as a CFI

Well, after the disappointing events of my pursuit to work for the airlines, I've switched mindsets and am now concentrating on instructing for a while more. I had other opportunities to interview with other airlines, but in the end I decided that the job I have now and where I live are far better than what it would be like at an airline, especially with the condition they're in now.

I've been gaining a lot more students and they're advancing their way towards their private pilot license, which means I'm not solely instructing people how to fly for their first time, this gets monotonous. And after flying a lot more during the week, I'm starting to really enjoy what I do. Not that I didn't enjoy it before, but before I only had 1 or 2 students and rarely flew, and when I did it wasn't advanced stuff. I'm also improving myself as an instructor and that makes me feel better everyday. I have more than 100 hours of dual instruction given. It's a really rewarding job.

I've also been blessed with students who fly very well. There have been some that require a little bit more work, but rarely. The area and the people I get to fly with really make what I do an awesome thing, and I'm very blessed for having a job like that. It's giving me experience that one couldn't get anywhere else.

On a side not, I've decided to get my CFII (flight instructor license to instruct instrument). The reason why I didn't receive this before at ATP can be read here. It'll add more students and allow me to instruct more advanced students, which will be beneficial. Also, I can add to my actual instrument time, which I need. More info on that as I progress.

4 comments:

Frank said...

I enjoyed reading about your endeavor to become a professional pilot.

Sastre Air said...

Thanks, I actually have a reader? :)

Jtsastre

Zack said...

As someone who's thinking about an aviation career, I found your blog very interesting. If you're still maintaining it, could you let me know what you're doing now? Also, I'd be interested to know what your overall impression of ATP was. Thanks.

Sastre Air said...

I'll try to update it as soon as I can. The thing is, is that there's not a lot to update. I'm still instructing and having a great time doing it. As far as ATP goes, they do what they advertise. Towards the end of the program, and especially the CFI school portion, you must have a lot of patience and determination. At that point you can get pretty burned out, and unfortunately, CFI school is the toughest portion. If you're looking to get through your ratings quickly and build a pretty good amount of multi-engine time, ATP would probably be the best bet. But they're also continuing to raise the program cost, so I'm not sure at what point it could be too expensive. Hope that helps, any other questions are welcomed.